The thread to talk about anything

Please feel free to talk about topics of general discussion here. Please be respectful of others and those who have lost a loved one.

Moderators: RJ Sutton, BREN, Moonmagic, Epiphany, mjhaynes

Re: The thread to talk about anything

Postby mjhaynes on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:06 am

Thanks Nancy. The one thing I have never regretted is leaving Harmd. I heard something yesterday that really got my nostrils flaring. Condemning the FDA and spouting how SAMHSA/CSAT is doing all these wonderful things was sickening. IMO and not so humble one at that is SAMHSA/CSAT is the main org that needs the restructering. They have my son's blood on their hands and many more, yet they are now being hailed as a wonderful org who is helping save lives. For that I say Bullshit. When methadone control went to SAMHSA is when the death toll started climbing. Due to less restrictions, many have died and they have some of the most unethical people on their staff that needs to be fired, like Bob. He uses his power there in ways that are absolutely way beyond unethical. Ok, gotta go to work. Love, Mary
mjhaynes
Site Admin

Postby Moonmagic on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 pm

Mary,
There is one thing I have gathered over the years, there are leaders and there are followers in this world. Some believe that rubbing elbows with those who hold a (so called) respectful position brings a level of importance to themselves and forget what they once stood for. Success comes with honesty to others as well as ones self. Making a firm stance with a concrete base brings a support that can not be broken.

Knowing what I know now, and losing my son to this poison, I could never imagine supporting Methadone in any fashion, both personally and professionally. There is not one person that could convince me to think or act in any other fashion then I do today in regards to this drug. To think that because something has been acceptable for years allows an excuse to cave ones thoughts and beliefs shows weakness. Changes only come from those who have the guts to be strong and endure the hurdles that come forth. Could you imagine how our country would be if everyone thought along those lines, never to stand up for what they truly believe (or once believed)? I am so glad "WE" are not in that group.

So we stand by what we believe with honesty on what we represent and dedication to those that have been lost and for others that have been left behind. To mean what we say and say what we mean.

Just my two cents !!!
Nancy
In Loving Memory of my son:
ROBBY GARVIN
Aug. 15, 1981 - June 11, 2006
Killed by Methadone & a Doctor

http://mothersagainstmedicalabuse.org/default.aspx
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/RxMethadoneDeaths
Moonmagic
Site Admin

Happy Birthday Wendy McAdams

Postby Moonmagic on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:27 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY !!!

Sorry it is after 12 my time but is still January 26th in Arkansas. Today I hope you saw just how much so many of us who feel as though we have known you all your life. Give my sweet son a hug and kiss for me in Heaven and know just how much we all miss each and everyone of you.....until we can be together again.....sending our love.

Love & Hugs, Nancy

PS: Tom says, "GO HOGS".........
ROBBY GARVIN

Moonmagic
Site Admin

Postby MIMI on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 am

HEY EVERYBODY, I'M HOME ! LOVE, BREN
MIMI

Postby Epiphany on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 pm

Welcome Home!!! We've missed you!
In loving memory of my son, Mark Verploegh
1-11-1981 - 6-19-2008
Epiphany

Postby Moonmagic on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:42 am

OMG !!! I am so glad your HOME! Yippee.....It has not been the same without you. Like a piece of a puzzle that was missing. Great BIG hug....to you.

Nancy
ROBBY GARVIN

Moonmagic
Site Admin

Postby MIMI on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:45 am

HEY GIRLS, I'VE MISSED Y'ALL SO MUCH, I CAN BREATHE BETTER NOW. I LOVE YOU MY SISTERS, THANKS FOR THE PHONE CALLS &  EMAILS THEY HELPED IMMENSLY. NOT FEELING WELL PHYSICALLY BUT I KNOW I'LL GET BETTER SOONER OR LATER, LOL. WE ARE FINALLY THAWING OUT FROM THE ICE STORM WE HAVE A LOT OF DEBRIS FROM TREE LIMBS IN THE YARD & MAY LOSE OUR BIG MULBERRY TREE. SO AS SOON AS IT'S A PRETTY DAY WE'LL TAKE WENDY HER BIRTHDAY FLOWERS & CARD, I'LL GET SOME PICTURES, OK. KEEP TONY IN YOUR PRAYERS THIS IS THE HARDEST TIME, MOST DANGEROUS TOO AT WORK FOR HIM. SOMEONE HAS TO MAKE ELECTRICITY THOUGH, LOL. APRIL HAS BEEN WITHOUT POWER SINCE TUEDAY, THEY BOUGHT A GENERATOR YESTERDAY, AMEN. CASEY HAS RECENTLY CHANGED JOBS INTO HOME HEALTH CARE, SO HE COVERED FOR MOST NURSES IN THEIR AREA. APRIL IS ON CALL AT THE HOSPITAL THIS WEEKEND. I'D RATHER BE HERE THAN TRADE WITH ANGEL IN MICHIGAN, ANY DAY. I HAVE A MILLION EMAILS TO OPEN, LOADS OF WORK TO HELP HERE ON THE FORUM. SINCE I HAD NO COMPUTER ON THE 26TH, WENDY'S BIRTHDAY....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY WENDY !!!
I LOVE YOU, MOMMA
MIMI

Postby MIMI on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:47 am

NANCY, I NEED YOUR HELP TO FIX MY INSTANT MESSENGER, PLEASE, LOL. LOVE, BREN
MIMI

Postby Moonmagic on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:04 am

I am so glad to have you back and all your hard work has been missed. Glad to see you got the IM working all by yourself, good going girl.

Between hospitals, holidays, weather and computer issues I think we are all behind in everything especially emails.
Times like this is when we realize just how much we mean to each other, thank God for the internet and telephone, lol.

You will have enough to keep your self busy for some time now......

Hugs, Nancy
ROBBY GARVIN

Moonmagic
Site Admin

Who Supports What Here? Is it diversion only?

Postby Moonmagic on Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:56 pm

Methadone is now the top cause of accidental overdoses in Wabash Valley

By Brian M. Boyce
The Tribune-Star

TERRE HAUTE — For different reasons, Chuck Fortner and Dylan McClain probably would not have read an article about the dangers of methadone.

Their mothers hope the families of people like them will.

“Use it,” Cindy Pierce said of her son Chuck’s story. “Anything that can help the reader. I want that very much.”

Fortner, 36, suffered from chronic back pain and died in an accidental overdose involving methadone last June 23.

“It’s just a very lethal drug,” Cindy McClain said.

McClain’s son, Dylan, 20, died May 5, 2007.

Dr. Roland Kohr, Vigo County coroner and pathologist at Terre Haute Regional Hospital, said methadone is now the top cause of accidental overdoses in the area, noting 21 of 290 autopsies he performed in 2008 involved the drug.

Kohr not only performs autopsies in Vigo, but also counties ranging from Edgar in Illinois to Sullivan and elsewhere throughout the Wabash Valley. That number represents 7 percent of the total autopsies he performed last year.

And with the shocking price difference between methadone and OxyContin, the former has quickly become a widely prescribed alternative to other forms of pain medication.

According to information provided by a Wabash Valley pharmacy Thursday, 100 10-milligram tablets of methadone retails for $21.13.

Meanwhile, 100 40-milligram tablets of OxyContin is $694.33.

As Fortner pointed out, methadone is “very cheap pain medication,” often going to the underinsured, the uninsured, those lacking education, those on disability and those with chronic pain.

And that demographic, as well as the kids to whom it trickles down to on the street, just aren’t likely to research what makes methadone so unforgivingly different from medication that was actually designed to alleviate pain instead of service heroin addicts.

“They don’t understand the difference,” she said.

And that’s what McClain and Pierce want to change.

Deceptive

and unforgiving

Methadone’s roots go back to World War II, as the German and American governments sought a cheap alternative to morphine.

During the late 1960s, methadone was introduced as a way to wean addicts off heroin.

A synthetic opioid, the drug was administered orally at designated clinics. Doses were monitored and scheduled to wean addicts off gradually so they wouldn’t die from the effects of heroin withdrawal. Identification was required and distribution was supervised to ensure the appropriate dosage was used at the correct intervals.

But according to Kohr, over the past 10 years physicians have come to realize that when prescribed correctly, methadone can be an effective pain medication.

And with other name-brand pain medications coming under fire for a variety of problems, methadone has moved to the front, prescribed in what Kohr agreed are large quantities.

And while patients who follow their physician’s directions are in all likelihood safe, misuse can be fatal.

“It’s a far more dangerous drug than I think people have a concept of,” Kohr said.

Ignorance of the “wallop” packed by methadone can be lethal, he said.

McClain, spokeswoman for Indiana’s HARMD, which stands for Helping America Reduce Methadone Deaths, said methadone’s “half-life” is the problem.

Designed to combat the withdrawal symptoms of heroin addiction, methadone stays in a person’s system longer than other drugs.

So even after an individual has “come down” from the high, the chemicals are still working inside the body.

People used to the manner in which other pain medication gradually wears off are susceptible to shrugging at the doctor’s warnings and simply taking more of the highly addictive narcotic.

This makes the next dose potentially lethal, as the first isn’t fully out of the body yet.

“You just can’t take methadone like that,” McClain said, explaining the tolerance one builds up to other medications can lead one to believe they’re strong enough for larger doses of methadone.

Pierce said physicians need to monitor their patients’ usage and test their blood to make sure other medications aren’t mixed.

“Doctors are giving out 30 days worth of this drug,” she said, noting that for people with addiction problems and/or chronic pain, the temptation can be too great. That’s why the methadone clinics for heroin addicts make patients go on-site for the drug. “Just because you’re not feeling it doesn’t mean it’s not in your system,” she said.

And as pill-poppers look for the next high once methadone wears off, the result can be an immediate overdose, she said.

The Result

Fortner was a construction worker who first injured his back at age 20, Pierce said.

While roofing houses over the next 16 years, he had four back surgeries and suffered chronic pain.

Fortner had been taking OxyContin on prescription for two years before he moved to methadone.

“He thought it was a safer choice,” she said, noting he was unemployed at the time and cost could have been a factor.

Fortner was on methadone less than two weeks before he was dead.

The tolerance to OxyContin and other meds he’d built up over the years probably boosted his confidence, leading him to reach for a second dose when the effects of the first wore off, she now guesses.

“That tells me Chuck was in pain and he was trying to alleviate the pain. He didn’t realize the dangers,” she said, acknowledging she didn’t know much about the drug, either, until after her son died.

Kohr said he hasn’t performed a single autopsy involving a person who followed the prescription as written by a physician, but those who self-diagnose or mix methadone with other medications are at risk.

But as Pierce noted, the very demographic most likely to get the drug are the least likely to maintain discipline when a ready supply of relief is right in their hand, especially if they don’t understand the consequences.

“They’ll just go to sleep and not wake up,” she said.

Kohr first encountered the drug’s effects about four years ago while performing an autopsy on a 20-year old, otherwise healthy male, who had died without apparent cause.

Toxicology results showed methadone present, but at levels within the “therapeutic range,” he said.

It wasn’t until he probed further that he realized the “therapeutic range” of methadone is very wide as the drug is designed for heroin addicts with years of narcotic tolerance.

This could make the “therapeutic range” of methadone lethal to individuals who have never taken heroin.

Since then, he’s seen a spike in methadone-related deaths, usually where the drug is taken in combination with others, for pain or recreation.

Awareness

McClain said HARMD is her emotional outlet.

“I never feel like I do enough,” she said, recalling the 750 people who attended her son’s funeral last year, and the number of other kids’ friends affected by other kids’ deaths.

Through the association, McClain has met scores of families touched by methadone and other prescription drugs, ranging from patients with chronic pain to pill-popping teens.

Pills lack the stigma associated with needles and are easier to conceal than pipes and other drug paraphernalia, she said.

High-school students and even middle-schoolers engage in “trail mix parties” where bowls full of random pills are grabbed by the handful.

Kohr said the age and demographics of the autopsies involving methadone vary greatly, but combination with other medications seems to be a common denominator.

Whether it’s legitimate patients that unwittingly take other medications at the wrong time, or kids seeking a higher high, the result is the same.

Kohr said people with methadone prescriptions should “guard it” and make sure it doesn’t fall into the wrong hands.

McClain referred to this as “diversion,” where someone takes a pill prescribed to someone else. She called it a major problem everywhere but particularly among kids.

The goal of HARMD is not the elimination or ban of methadone, McClain said, noting it, like all drugs, has a proper function.

But in all likelihood, everyone knows someone involved in pain medication, or knows kids who experiment with drugs.

Spreading awareness about methadone’s potential effects and lobbying for tougher penalties on those caught selling the drug to addicts are the main courses of action. “And being there for other people who are going through the same thing,” McClain said of other families who have lost members to overdose.

Because the people most likely to misuse methadone are the least likely to read about its dangers, McClain and Pierce said they want the whole community to be aware.

Had they known then what they now know, their sons might still be alive.

“You always struggle with it. It never, never, ever goes away,” McClain said of her son’s death.

Brian Boyce can be reached at 812-231-4253 or brian.boyce@tribstar.com.

Sadly, this takes away any accountability from those that have died while under a doctors care and monitoring. Assuming that these deaths come from diversion and people mixing other drugs with methadone that this drug is deadly which is far from the truth and very misleading to the public. This leans towards the claims of the pro-methadone supporters who often blame the victim and not the drug. The majority of patrons in these methadone clinics are NOT heroin users but addicted to other prescription narcotics. The safest approach in saving ANY lives to this drug is just say NO even to a doctor.

This article mentions the dangers of methadone's half life. Which is another very important reason why it should NOT be used under any circumstances. Even when someone is dosed by a medical professional on a daily basis they can still become toxic and die. It is obvious some people just truly do not understand the real dangers involved with methadone or they would not give any excuses to maintain this drug for it's current uses. The source of why there is so much of this posion on our streets comes from the people to claim to need it. Increasing the punishment for such action will not stop the doctors from prescribing it who are the reason it is so plentiful.

ROBBY GARVIN

Moonmagic
Site Admin

Postby MIMI on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:00 am

I am thinking and praying for each and every one of you. I am so grateful to have you all in my life. We do not have to speak any words to understand what one another feels, the loss of a child changes our lives forever.Love & Prayers, Bren

MERRY CHRISTMAS
TO ALL OF OUR
ANGELS
MIMI

Postby MIMI on Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:27 pm

I am thinking and praying for all who have lost a loved one. It is the 3 rd day after Christmas, this year seem to be harder to get through. There were times that I was very happy with new memories and traditions made. So much pain and sorrow from these senseless deaths continue. Ever so often I have to pause....remind myself to breathe. I pray in 2010, serious changes are made with stricter regulations and guidelines against Methadone, Oxycontin and other drugs that claim so many innocent lives every year. That the truth curtain is raised revealing the greed, lies and names will be brought to light behind the money being made off of our loved ones. Let me be clear, I do believe in treating drug addiction, it is a serious illness. But, not to continue to treat it with Methadone as they have the past 40 year, it has failed our country in my opinion. Clinics were opened originally treating heroin addicts, not todays over prescribing of prescriptions drugs by doctors. I can not rest until changes are made legally and we all know about them. Love & Prayers, Bren

In Loving Memory
Wendy McAdams
1/26/73 - 4/5/06
MIMI

NING Site

Postby Moonmagic on Mon May 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Sadly the NING Site will start to charge for people using their web pages and the cost is very pricey for the services $55 - $20 per month. I want to transfer as much stuff to the website and here at the forum before all is lost.
I posted a notice on the NING Site, under the blog area but not sure who may have seen it. They also closed this site down due to inactivity (my fault) but I was able to get them to reinstate services.
If you have any idea's please let me know. I have spent the last 9 months trying to get myself back in working order. It has been a long road which has included a ton of personal issues that needed my attention.
Looking forward to any idea's !!!

Love and hugs, Nancy
ROBBY GARVIN

Moonmagic
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General discussions & topics